TYEE TALES – Debra Idiens

Excitement From The Shore.

My “fish tale” doesn’t really involve a fish but a tale of woes bringing cherished memories.

Last season (2001) was the first year I fished very few tides because of an injury, but it was by far the most fun I have ever had with regard to the Tyee Club. I sat back, at first, frustrated because I could not participate on the water, holding my rod, waiting in anticipation for a big one (even a dog fish to create a bit of excitement) to hit. I was forced to sit on the sidelines and watch as my husband rowed a friend of ours tide after tide after tide. The frustration set in as tide after tide after tide, my friend hit fish after fish after fish. I was sure that my appearance in the boat was now a bad omen and I should never set foot in it again.

I could see that my friend’s husband was becoming antsy sitting on the shore with me evening after evening after evening, so I suggested to my husband that he take him rowing. My husband took the suggestion one step further and one night asked him if he would like to row…therein lies one of the most memorable memories I have in the Tyee Pool. This large Italian man had never been in a rowboat before, let alone rowed one, in peak season, through the menagerie of traffic on the water at sunset. I can only imagine what transpired in that boat that night, but after dark when no boat was to be seen, my first instinct was to start calling Search and Rescue. I had lost sight of the boat off the Argonaut just before dark but didn’t worry too much because I knew my husband was in control from the anglers seat. I had my finger on the telephone send button when I heard a motor in the distance.

Low and behold, our boat comes chuggin’ along and turns onto the clubhouse beach. At this point I know someone has died or worse, because my husband NEVER puts the boat on the beach. Too much damage to the hull, he says. I was just trying to calm myself down long enough to holler, who died? When up the beach the procession starts. My friend, bouncing at least ten feet off the ground, her husband shaking so badly, he can’t carry anything, and my husband following dragging I’m sure the biggest fish we had seen in the boat for a long time. A myriad of emotions bolted through me as I watch in awe from the clubhouse door. Not a word was said on the water, not a word was said on shore as the procession continues to the weigh scale. 38 ? pounds Mike quietly calls out. Not the biggest fish in history but the pride at that moment emanating from this bedraggled procession brought tears to my eyes. I had waited all summer for my friend to hook into a fish, she so desperately wanted to become a member of the Club, and watching her husband flop into a chair, bend over and put his head in his hands was nearly my downfall that night. My husband of course, steadfast as always, had quite a tale to tell. He sat back and watched in quiet fascination as my friend angled and her husband rowed their first fish together. They almost ended up on Quadra through the exuberance of this first time rower, but Search and Rescue did not have to be called and everyone lived happily ever after.

Sitting on our new bench at the clubhouse, night after night after night watching all the goings on, talking to Mike endlessly about fish stories, and visiting with all those wandering in for a little enthusiastic conversation, or just plain relaxation, was the best summer I have ever had and I shall cherish every moment of it. Not one minute would be possible without my friend Karen D’alessandro and her husband Al (affectionately known as Guido). Thanks to you both for providing me with inspiration and enthusiasm, and I look forward to fishing with you both in the years to come…now that you are obviously both ? hooked?.

Affectionately, Deb Idiens